Because I don’t feel well today, I had originally planned on going home at 11:30 a.m. and use what’s left of my PTO to cover the rest of the day.
Then I got an e-mail telling us that we need to hold off on lunches until after 12:15 p.m. for an “announcement.”
Nobody knew about this until the e-mail went out. I may be reading into this too much but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried about my job.
Updates to follow when I get home while on lunch and after I get home. And I wrote a post while on the train today which I will upload later as well. Advice: have Kleenex ready.
UPDATES (in the order they happened, from the top):
- It’s 12:45 p.m. We haven’t had our meeting yet.
- Two people seen leaving with boxes filled with personal items. They haven’t come back or said goodbye.
- Nothing has been said to us. Mood is somber.
- The meeting has been rescheduled to 2:30 so my sick ass has to hang around until then. I have clocked out for lunch since, considering I’m off at 4:30, I might as well put in a full day.
- Received e-mail from Corporate about today’s challenging economic environment and what must be done to remain afloat. Company-wide staff reduction is mentioned. Gee, with what I’ve seen today, you think?
- Meeting in 10 minutes. Nobody looks happy.
- Layoffs officially began Company-wide; 8 let go here including Web proofreader–my former position before becoming regular proofreader.
That was all for today. I think that was enough.