One Week Later

It was one week ago when I was lying in bed, head spinning at an alarming rate whenever I had to (slowly) move my frame out of bed and into the bathroom.

What a difference a week makes.

Today, I sit here with you and spill my proverbial guts about how I feel. And honestly, I feel pretty good. While there is still some soreness in the incision area and other parts of my body I’d rather not experience discomfort, all in all everything’s going well. I will visit with the surgeon tomorrow to see if he will remove the dressing and listen intently as he tells me when I should return to work.

Walking is still a chore but I’ve increased my pace considerably. It still takes a lot out of me and I’m still taking occasional naps between (grrr…) phone calls and (double-grrr…) unexpected visits. I can also rest the laptop on my lap without any discomfort so I suppose blogging is back on the menu as well.

Just before my operation I had intended to buy a multi-disc DVD player so that I could pop several of those puppies in there and watch without having to make too much movement. So in an effort to a) get in my daily walk and b) get out of the house for a while, we went to Best Buy to check out their selection.

Since it’s my belief that both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD formats will only have a cult following *cough*MiniDisc*cough* and not much else to offer consumers other than confusion, I avoided buying either one of those players and bought a multi-disc DVD player with HDMI output. And my oh my, is it an upgrade.

I watched intently as Ann replaced our old DVD player with the new one (and no, I didn’t lift a finger in the process). It was simply a matter of pulling plugs and putting them in the new player, with the addition of the HDMI cable. I then stocked it with the following: The Phantom of the Opera, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, The Big Lebowski, and Depeche Mode’s Touring the Angel: Live in Milan (both discs).

All I can say is um…wow. I’ve gone from standard RCA jacks to S-video to component cables to HDMI. And the difference is amazing. Definitely worth every penny.

Oh, and the day before we went to Wal-Mart. Not a big deal, you say? Sure it was. Because I wasn’t quite yet walking at my current pace, I got to ride a Fat Lady Cart! While pretty agile, they are big and clumsy. I’m so glad I don’t have to use one all the time. Of course if I did, I’d probably wear a fat-guy hat and a mou-mou just to finish off the look.