Being that today was such a fantastic day, we spent a good portion of it outside in the backyard attempting to make it a bit more appealing. The place looked so damn good the first time we gutted everything and planted new stuff but since Hurricane Arliss came to town, the place went to Hell. Dogs are motherf…dogs.
At any rate, I dug up all sorts of stuff: plants, trees, weeds, roots, etc. Once the flowerbeds were destroyed I laid down about 10 pieces of sod to cover the patches of dirt. And even Ann will admit that even though there is only sod and a few trees in the flowerbeds, they look good now. (I’m a minimalist when it comes to landscaping; Ann is just the opposite.)
I did have some difficulty in removing the root of a bush, the likes of which I couldn’t tell you. I didn’t think about using the ax on it since it’s pretty rusty and doesn’t cut very well. I ended up stabbing the gnarly root with a shovel until it broke into several pieces, which I then twisted or snapped off of said mangled root.
After snapping off one piece I paused for a moment and gazed at it. I started laughing. Ann wondered just what it was I was chuckling at–until I showed her.