We went to Disneyland on Friday night and you couldn’t swing a cat without hitting one of these signs. Ann kept jokingly asking me if I wanted to go to back at 6:30 a.m. on Sunday, to which I replied, “Um…no.” You probably got some sort of “I Was An Idiot and Went to Disneyland at 6:30 a.m.!” button just for showing up.
Apparently this Miley Cyrus person, or “her people,” rented out the park for the night to celebrate their 16th birthday. And the Disney folks saw a golden opportunity to bilk $250 out of people in the process. It’s genius!
So while we’re on the subject, here’s a little story. We got to speak with a Cast Member over in California Adventure who has been working for Disneyland for many years. He told us that while this whole Miley Cyrus thing was indeed a big to-do, the preparation and pomp and circumstance was nothing compared to Elizabeth Taylor’s 60th birthday bash back in God-knows-when.
From what he told us:
- Paper towel dispensers were covered and high-quality towels were used instead
- Standard toilet paper was replaced with stuff that cost $50 a case
- The food served that night was cordon bleu and caviar
- Security checkpoints were so bad they actually confiscated his lunch
- Airspace above Disneyland was restricted to everybody–even Orange County Sheriffs
- Paparazzi access was limited to Main Street
He also tried to lie about his age (by saying that he was 19 rather than 21) so that he wouldn’t have to serve champagne all night. He eventually got drafted into working and after it was all over, helped himself to some of the food. While he admits the cordon bleu was outstanding, it was the first–and last–time he ever ate caviar.
As for tonight’s bash, he said:
- If you were not working, you were not to be anywhere near the Park
- As of Friday, they were still looking for Cast Members to work the event
It’s now 11:30 p.m. (at the time I started this post) and I can hear the distant rumble of Disneyland fireworks from outside my window. They didn’t last as long or were as loud as the usual 9:30 p.m. display we hear on Friday and Saturday nights. Either way, I guess the big birthday bash is over.
Hope you enjoyed it, kid. A few years from now when your fan base gets older and nobody remembers who you are, you’ll be thankful you got it.
Hell, I’m just happy to get cake.
Note: my brother worked with her on some Disney project years ago. Here’s some proof. And comments have been disabled to prevent any influx of “ZOMG!!! I LOVE MILY SO MUCH YOU SUCK HARCORE FOR SYAING SHE SUX!!!” posts, but I’ll gladly take the hits.
Bookmark this post: